If a flood is likely in your area, quick action may be necessary to protect your family and property.
- Get information from the radio or television.
- Move immediately to higher ground if there is any possibility of a flash flood. Do not wait for instructions to move.
- If you need to evacuate, secure your home and move essential items to an upper floor. Turn off utilities if instructed to do so, and disconnect electrical appliances. However, do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water — it can make you fall. Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If you are caught in your vehicle in floodwater, abandon your car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
- If you have evacuated your home, do not return until authorities tell you it is safe.